Forums Pole Conversations Shadow Banning 2019

5 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Lori Glaza 3 months, 1 week ago
  • Author

Lori Glaza
    Participant
    @Lori-Lu

Can we please talk about shadow banning? Since so many people in the pole dance community are complaining about being shadow banned on Instagram (i have 0 hashtag privileges anymore) this forum seems like a perfect place to organize, swap experience, and share contact information to support ourselves while our content is censored. Shadow banning is when Instagram won’t recognize your hashtags or limits the amount of visibility on your posts because they have deemed something inappropriate in your content. Across the world pole dancers are being unfairly targeted by a vague standard that IG refuses to explain or answer for. It’s not just individual profiles either. Pole.press is one of my favorite resources for great videos and impressive performers, but they were shut down by IG too. This smacks of unfair censorship, and i am furious about it! Already reaching out to local media to bring awareness to our pole dancing protest. Any thoughts? #shadowpolers #shadowpolerschallenge #poleoppressed

Mariette
    Participant
    @MawePoleaddict

Petition

I am not affected but my friends and Pole inspirations are. Especially people who live of this and it just can’t go on like this.

Mariette
    Participant
    @MawePoleaddict

http://chng.it/4Pdp8yGrvv

Lori Glaza
    Participant
    @Lori-Lu

MANY pole dancers on IG and FB are understandably upset over the recent shadow banning of the pole community. Lets work together to spread awareness and create meaningful change!

If you’re looking for things YOU can do to help;

This is an informative article about the reason pole dancers around the world are experiencing unfair censorship on IG

https://www.techdirt.com/…/13180842…/human-cost-fosta.shtml…

Please take a moment to educate, and coordinate with the pole community on the battle against shadow banning.

Sign the petition on change.org https://www.change.org/p/mark-zuckerberg-stop-instagram-sha…

Brainstorm pole dance protests and social media strikes here to maximize consistency and effectiveness. Love the claiming of the #shadowpolers hashtag and the challenges, but we’ve got to do more. Perhaps we can all blow up their website with help requests (the computer won’t answer our calls for assistance, but maybe we’ll leave an impression with the algorithm that REAL people at the company might notice. Thinking about a 24 hour pole dance IG strike where we all use the same picture and hashtags before a mass log out.

Consider contacting your local news media with a story tip. The press does not appreciate censorship of speech or expression. Honestly, i don’t think IG will be motivated to change anything until bad publicity and public opinion force the issue.

Contact the lawmakers who were involved in the crafting of this legislation. They don’t know a problem is a problem unless we tell them. Perhaps we should inform the celebrities who appear in this FOSTA PSA about the unintended consequences of this new law. https://youtu.be/9SB7-uqvnS0 (remember and respect the intent of this law is to protect victims of human trafficking and sex workers) Real people have been assualted and died as a result of human trafficking and we must be sensitive to that fact while we respectfully advocate for change.

Tell your pole pals and shadow banned sisters about the forum on pole.press.org. The account for pole.press on IG was deactivated despite it’s focus on pole sport and a 45,000 person following. Now Pole.press.org is fighting back, and it’s important that we support them while they use their significant reach and resources to advocate for pole. If you know of any other companies or collectives fighting these guidelines, please post them here.

Above all… do NOT give up, do NOT give in, and remember you are not alone! #unitedbypole

Sue (Polesilks) Colebourne
      Participant
      @PoleAmoruk

I have seen lots of posts concerning this and it does seem to be on the increase so thank you for providing more information and highlighting it too. Another form of discrimination and prejudice without explanation, justification or support on how to rectify!

Lori Glaza
        Participant
        @Lori-Lu

Thank you for sharing your valuable thoughts on the issue. My post from lori_lu_poledancer on IG was banned this morning, and i had to change it to black and white and drop some content to be acceptable. We all have to stand up and speak out, or it will get worse. Trying to contact the media to spread awareness of this unfair censorship. In the meantime, sign the petition, keep poling, keep posting, support fellow #shadowpolers & spread the word!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.